Monday, December 21, 2009

Blog Post#3-Reaction to Obama's speech

Due 12/22/09 Tomorrow!!!
READ THE SPEECH BELOW THEN WRITE A REACTION. DO YOU AGREE? DISAGREE? WHY? DID HE SAY ENOUGH? NOT ENOUGH? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION? NO LESS THAN 4 PARAGRAPHS! 5 SENTENCES=1 PARAGRAPH.

Watch video below or stroll down for text.




Link to speech here



President Obama’s Climate Speech By GREEN INC.


COPENHAGEN — Following are the remarks made by President Obama, distributed ahead of his speech
as delivered here at the United Nations climate talks. Mr. Obama emphasized the need for “Mitigation. Transparency. And financing,” he said. “It is a clear formula.”





Good morning. It is an honor for me to join this distinguished group of leaders from nations around the world. We come here in Copenhagen because climate change poses a grave and growing danger to our people. All of you would not be here unless you — like me — were convinced that this danger is real. This is not fiction, it is science. Unchecked, climate change will pose unacceptable risks to our security, our economies, and our planet. This much we know.

The question, then, before us is no longer the nature of the challenge — the question is our capacity to meet it. For while the reality of climate change is not in doubt, I have to be honest, as the world watches us today, I think our ability to take collective action is in doubt right now, and it hangs in the balance.

I believe we can act boldly, and decisively, in the face of a common threat. That’s why I come here today — not to talk, but to act. (Applause.)

Now, as the world’s largest economy and as the world’s second largest emitter, America bears our responsibility to address climate change, and we intend to meet that responsibility. That’s why we’ve renewed our leadership within international climate change negotiations. That’s why we’ve worked with other nations to phase out fossil fuel subsidies. That’s why we’ve taken bold action at home — by making historic investments in renewable energy; by putting our people to work increasing efficiency in our homes and buildings; and by pursuing comprehensive legislation to transform to a clean energy economy.

These mitigation actions are ambitious, and we are taking them not simply to meet global responsibilities. We are convinced, as some of you may be convinced, that changing the way we produce and use energy is essential to America’s economic future — that it will create millions of new jobs, power new industries, keep us competitive, and spark new innovation. We’re convinced, for our own self-interest, that the way we use energy, changing it to a more efficient fashion, is essential to our national security, because it helps to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, and helps us deal with some of the dangers posed by climate change.

So I want this plenary session to understand, America is going to continue on this course of action to mitigate our emissions and to move towards a clean energy economy, no matter what happens here in Copenhagen. We think it is good for us, as well as good for the world. But we also believe that we will all be stronger, all be safer, all be more secure if we act together. That’s why it is in our mutual interest to achieve a global accord in which we agree to certain steps, and to hold each other accountable to certain commitments.


After months of talk, after two weeks of negotiations, after innumerable side meetings, bilateral meetings, endless hours of discussion among negotiators, I believe that the pieces of that accord should now be clear.

First, all major economies must put forward decisive national actions that will reduce their emissions, and begin to turn the corner on climate change. I’m pleased that many of us have already done so. Almost all the major economies have put forward legitimate targets, significant targets, ambitious targets. And I’m confident that America will fulfill the commitments that we have made: cutting our emissions in the range of 17 percent by 2020, and by more than 80 percent by 2050 in line with final legislation.
Second, we must have a mechanism to review whether we are keeping our commitments, and exchange this information in a transparent manner. These measures need not be intrusive, or infringe upon sovereignty. They must, however, ensure that an accord is credible, and that we’re living up to our obligations. Without such accountability, any agreement would be empty words on a page.

I don’t know how you have an international agreement where we all are not sharing information and ensuring that we are meeting our commitments. That doesn’t make sense. It would be a hollow victory.

Number three, we must have financing that helps developing countries adapt, particularly the least developed and most vulnerable countries to climate change. America will be a part of fast-start funding that will ramp up to $10 billion by 2012. And yesterday, Secretary Hillary Clinton, my Secretary of State, made it clear that we will engage in a global effort to mobilize $100 billion in financing by 2020, if — and only if — it is part of a broader accord that I have just described.

Mitigation. Transparency. Financing. It’s a clear formula — one that embraces the principle of common but differentiated responses and respective capabilities. And it adds up to a significant accord — one that takes us farther than we have ever gone before as an international community.

I just want to say to this plenary session that we are running short on time. And at this point, the question is whether we will move forward together or split apart, whether we prefer posturing to action. I’m sure that many consider this an imperfect framework that I just described. No country will get everything that it wants. There are those developing countries that want aid with no strings attached, and no obligations with respect to transparency. They think that the most advanced nations should pay a higher price; I understand that. There are those advanced nations who think that developing countries either cannot absorb this assistance, or that will not be held accountable effectively, and that the world’s fastest-growing emitters should bear a greater share of the burden.
We know the fault lines because we’ve been imprisoned by them for years. These international discussions have essentially taken place now for almost two decades, and we have very little to show for it other than an increased acceleration of the climate change phenomenon. The time for talk is over. This is the bottom line: We can embrace this accord, take a substantial step forward, continue to refine it and build upon its foundation. We can do that, and everyone who is in this room will be part of a historic endeavor — one that makes life better for our children and our grandchildren.

Or we can choose delay, falling back into the same divisions that have stood in the way of action for years. And we will be back having the same stale arguments month after month, year after year, perhaps decade after decade, all while the danger of climate change grows until it is irreversible.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is no time to waste. America has made our choice. We have charted our course. We have made our commitments. We will do what we say. Now I believe it’s the time for the nations and the people of the world to come together behind a common purpose.

We are ready to get this done today — but there has to be movement on all sides to recognize that it is better for us to act than to talk; it’s better for us to choose action over inaction; the future over the past — and with courage and faith, I believe that we can meet our responsibility to our people, and the future of our planet. Thank you very much. (Applause.)

36 comments:

agim said...

I think Obama made his speech very clear. I really like the ideas that he said. If I was Obama I would start getting greener now because Obama said that he would start in 2020. By then it would be worse.

I think he should of explained more about what he will be doing then saying how much money he will be raising the money for it. He also didn't say in which areas he would be helping. He said nothing about deforestation or flooding.

I think he did a good job with his speech. I like how he is going to raise billions of dollars to help. He is very focused about global warming.

Jessica Koneval said...

i disagree. because we have bigger things to worry about. like the economic crisis. global warming isnt as big as world hunger. we should worry about that stuff before global warming. some people dont even believe in global warming. i dont.
but i think he said enough. because he hit all of the major topics about globl warming that is starting to effect us now. im glad he wants to help. but i still think there are bigger tings to be worrying about. ot global warmig.
im glad he wants to help the other countries that are develoing. by giving them money. because then he is both working on global warming, and helping other places. im happy he is multi-tasking. im also glad he mentioned how he wanted to make the world better for our children and grat grandchildren.
i hope that things do make a positive outcome from this meeting. because the ones who will be affected is our children and greatgrandchildren. but i still think there arebigger things to focus on. but im also glad he is atleast focousing on somthing important.

JayMan said...

Yes, I totally agree and am happy that Obama agreed to the treaty. Now the world will be a better place. We do not have to worry anymore because all we have to do is do our part in this world. This now shows other countries and the people of America we care. This is a fresh start for America.

I think Obama did o.k. on the speech. He could have added more to it. He always said he was going to do something but he didn't back up his answer. He could have said what he was going to do and then say how he was going to solve the problem. Like when he said we are migrating our emissions but did not say how.

My opinion is he did good but he should state what he was going to do then how he was going to do it. If you just say that your going to something but do not back up your answer people might not believe you as much because they do not know how you are going to solve the problem. Always say how you are going to solve the problem so that people will believe you more. Saying that always makes a speech better and more trustworthy. But that was the only thing I think he needed to add.

Overall Obama did a fantastic job on his speech. I belive he is going to follow up on his word to make this a better place. But first in order to make this world a better place we need to do our part. Just because we agreed to the treaty doesn't mean climate change will stop. We have to recycle, reuse, and stop littering.

Jaylen Gregory/802

AwesomeGabi246 said...

Obama’s speech was great and I understood the point he was trying to get across. The people of the world need to come together to form a common purpose. We need to take charge of climate change and figure out a good plan and follow through with that plan to fix this huge problem.

Also a thing that obama said was that we need to change the way we produce energy because that is very important to americas economic future. All the ideas and discussing, are plan is starting to get more clear. We need to start acting on what we are saying. We need to get climate change ideas up and running as soon as possible. Our time is short we have no time to waste. The longer we wait for climate change the more closer we get for climate change to be irreversible. So we need to act fast or it will be too late.

roy said...

the speech was great in my opinion, when i looked at what he said i thought that maybe he could change the global warming situation we have right now on our planet.

one good part of his speech that he is not here to talk but to act to the situation the whole planet is in, he also promises that america will do its part.

Obama currently recommend everyone to cut down the emission, by their economic to try to save the environment he hopes by 2050 80% of the emission will be cut down.

he also have plans for countries that are still developing like he supply them with 100 million dollar until the end of 2012 he hope during that time they can grow.

after reading all of obama's plan i can't help but to think that he one day could solve all thee problems we have right now including this major project global warming

Angus Seager said...

I thought Obama's was very rousing and I'm sure he delivered it well. the only issue was that he was ver yvague. He talked about cutting emissions and what America was doing and what we should do, but he didn't say how America is cutting emissions or how we should fight global warming in a way that will benefit developing countries. If he really wants to stop climate change he should offer some suggestions, otherwise he's just setting a goal and not saying how to reach it.

-Angus

Anonymous said...

I do agree with what Obama said at the copenhegan. I agree with what he said at Copenhegan because he signed the Kyoto Protocol. This is really important because he is the first president of the U.S to sign the K.P. I also agree with Obama on his speech because He described how the U.S would support the K.P. The way how he described how the U.S would support K.P is that they would give 10 billion dollars by 2012 and $100 billion by 2020.

I also agree with Obama because he said we don't have a lot of time left. I agree with this because our world is changing fast and more storms are going around our world that never happened. I also agree with Obama because he said we have to act now. I agree with this because it's exactly as he said about how people keep on arguing and discussing about changing but they aren't acting.

I think he did say enough. I think he did say enough because he said what he wanted to say. He said that America would sign the K.P and that everyone should do the same. I also think he said enough because when he said that everyone has to join he used facts and supporting thoughts. He said that if not a lot of countries supported or participated then the K.P wouldn't work and everything would end.

My opinion is that everyone should be part of the K.P. Everyone should become part of the K.P because we really don't have a choice. We really don't have a choice because the time is expiring and we haven't even started. My opinion is also that everyone should become part of the K.P because if they do then they can have a certain responsibility and make it better for our planet. It's that simple, it's whether we act now and save ourselves and save this planet or die in perish

Isabel Etchevarria said...

Obama's Speech was a bit vague. He wasn't straight forward with if he was willing to sign to COP15 treaty. I could see he was leaning to yes but not completely. But over all i was a bit disappointed because yes he addressed many issues but he was very vague about them. But i am happy that there seems to be a good chance that he might sign COP15.

khadeedja said...

When i read this speech i had a lot of thought going though my mind. I didn't know what to think. I thought it was a good speech and it all my mind going but i didn't know that i was thinking about. I feel like it was a good speech. It was strong in many way and i felt like he was really talking to me.
I do agree 100% on everything he had to say. it was true that only the people that thinks climate change is real would be there. It was also true that we have to change our way and change it fast. Everything that President Obama said I agreed with. They all told the truth.
I fell that he did say enough. To me he said all that needed to be said. All he had to do was say the facts and all that was important. That is what he did. Obama said what he needed to say. He also said what we needed to hear.
President Obama's Climate speech in Copenhagen was a speech I will never forget. He did and said what he needed to. He told me what America will do. He did his part. Now we need to do ours.

ingrid renlim said...

My reaction to President Obama's speech is i don't think he should of signed the kyoto protical. i mean it expires in 2012. we're almost in 2010 that really doesn't give us much time.
What if the world gets even hotter and the kyoto protical didn't work and obama signed the paper we would of spend a lot of money on something that didn't work. i think you shouldn't rush in things. "We are ready to get this done today" obama said. some people don't even know what he is talking about. So I don't think all of us are ready.
It felt like he was saying a lot and getting to the point that he was trying to make. he could of said more about how this would be better for the economy, and the people in the united states.

willowl said...

My reaction to Obama's Coopenhagen speech is pretty un balaenced. I feel that his speech was inspiring and that he was meaning exactly what he meant. But I doubt that we will take the conflict has seriously as we say we will. Though we are taking our word on this project to lower green house gas emissions like we are supposed two, will we completley fufill them? To lower carbon dixoide isn't a easy desion to make and compelte. The project is a hard assignment to complete.

Obama says that he means what he says. We, the poeple of the United States need ot make this statment clear. Are we saying what we mean? Are we reallly going to work hard and compelte the goals we have in mind.

As we look further into the defeiniton of change, I feel that Obama should had included more information. His speech was long and detailed but I felt he was missing information. The main idea was included he was telling everyone how America will make a difference and pay for the price of the emissions that were realeased. But it's the smae case when a child tells theyre parents theyll change and they never do. How much more will our goals be igonored?

His speech was thoughtful and considerate. His actions were intended to make a difference. But if we look at reality. How many peoeple will really take him seriouslly? I will not procrastinate in my actions. I will not act as a negative arguemntaive person. But we need to take a stance.

Emily V. said...

I strongly agree on what he was saying about how the issue isn't just from someone's imagination. It is a very serious issue and we need to act quickly. I really liked how he said that everyone is committed to reaching the goal of helping the enviroment. I also really liked how he mentioned that we have tried very hard so far but we need to reach to the next step. This process needs team work and commitment. With out it we would fail to do change anything in our environment.

I agree because while I read this I realized that he was making a great point on how we trully need everyones commitment to changing the Global Warming issue. I really could tell that all he wanted was the whole world to put some input on the issue. Because toward the end of the speech he states that we could just sit and do nothing even though we know we can do something different for the world or we can actually make a huge difference in out community. I really liked how he was confident about all of us making our comitment. He showed me that he really believed that if we worked really hard,and we worked together we could probably do something for all of us.

I think he said enough about how much we can do to work together,but I think he could've mentioned several examples of how we could change out ways. I know he said that instead of talking we should be acting but I could tell that maybe if he stated some examples of helpful ways to impact the climate change maybe the people who were listening could have a feeling of what to do. I also feel that he could've mentioned how we would change the world together or how he and the other nations would change the Global Warming crisis. I feel that he could've given us some comitments he'd be doing toward the future to helping the climate change crisis.

Overall the speech was very well spoken and written. I have a feeling that he did this on his own but no quit sure though. Even though this speech was probably meant for college students and adult ears I easily understood what he was saying. Nothing was too difficult to understand. Everything was very well written as I said before and well spoken. If someone else were to read this article I don't think they could've done this great of a job. Obama is great speaker and I could tell that he was relaxed which made the speech more easier for me to understand. Some words I didn't understand but overall the speech was still understandable.

Anonymous said...

He is really trying to show everyone it is a big issue and that he wants to deeply try to change this issue we face. He is talking about the things we do and what else we can do to help change this issue. He is really motivating you to see that this issue is something we cannot ignore. He talks about the economy and tells how people are worried about that. He says that we can't leave this issue behind we need to try to resolve this issue.

He is saying that we need to have a solution that will help the generation of humans to come. I think that he is trying to show that we should take a jump start on this. That we shouldn't wait till the last minute to resolve something. He is saying we have to be strong enough to change and that we can't back down once we already started. We have to not give up and keep going.

He is saying that we have no time to waste. We have to start immediately. He is restating a lot of things to try to get a point out. He also says that we should all come to an agreement together and try to change things as one. He is also showing how he believes that we can do this. And that we should believe we can also.

He says he came here not to talk to act. Which shows that he wants to change and that he is wants to show us we can too. He tells about this everyone can do to help. I think that his speech was good but i think it could have been more detailed. I thought that he should have told about the things that happened and how we could change that more. He told a more general idea i think he could have been more specific.

AJ said...

Obama made a good speech. It had emotion and persistence in it. He was very positive about knowing that if we all work together and have a good plan, we can get through this and fix this big problem. I liked that he was straight forward by saying, this has to happen, in order for this to happen we have to do this, that and this. He didn't go on and say, it's so hard, we might not make it and open up to the world, the more vulnerable countries. He was respectful about the developing countries and didn't say, oh, their developing, they probably can't even understand what I'm saying and their so weak.
I do agree with Obama. We need to step forward and really be committed in fixing the major problems of global warming. And we are the worlds second largest emitters. It's sad, but we are. A lot of us don't care and don't realize how big of an effect global warming has put on us. We need to find a cheap way though. Especially for the developing countries so it doesn't effect their developing economies. And we don't have much time left to start working real hard. If we leave the issue of global warming aside or don't put as much effort as we need to in it, eventually it won't be fixable. We'll be stuck in our effects from being lazy.
I think he should of just said straight out, all of us are equal in this so lets make a difference. He needed to get the word equal right in front. People try to find faults in everything. Then they'll put that little thing against you. Otherwise, I think he did well. He added enough info so the others would understand but so it wasn't a running speech. There wasn't a whole paragraph that was repeated in different words. He did good by adding specifically how the U.S. will achieve their promises, how we need to get our selves together and how we can do it.
Life is so messed up. People are so messed up. We all have weird behaviors. Companies try hard to influence people, mostly kids, to go green. Why hasn't it worked? Commercials on T.V. advertise about ways to help the earth. But isn't watching T.V. a lot not good for the earth? Disney Chanel even does it, but their shows catch kids eyes and kids wanna watch it. They know that will happen so they'll make even more money (>8( pigs!) so what's the point of trying to influence kids?

kaitlin802 said...

Reaction to Obama’s Speech Kaitlin Lopez
This article is about finding a new way to solve clime change. Obama talks about the effect of the climate. He talks about developed countries and undeveloped countries. He talks about the state of the economy and how climate change could affect it. Obama and many others believe that changing the way we produce and use energy will not lead us to a very good place.
After carefully reading Obama’s speech I have analyzed and reviewed the meaning of it. I agreed with Obama’s diction to renew there leadership with the international climate change negotiations. I think this is a great idea because it will benefit us. They are taking action instead of just talking about ways that they could be taking action. It is good that we are taking action now because we may only have a short amount of time to fix this problem.
Obama was very well presented when he was talking about the Cop 15 Copenhagen. He informed people of the plan he chooses and gave the reason they decide to choose it. Obama also gave examples as to what could happen if we do not act to the issue. Obama did say enough in his speech it was very clear and precisely written. I don’t think it maker if he said enough, I think what really matters I what he said because sometime the sort the more precise/direct it I, which brings you strength to the point.
I think this plan will be successful. In order for the goal to be completed, we must make sure that the plan is working because if it is not we would just be wasting time that is need. Like President Obama said, “I believe we can act boldly, and decisively, in the face of a common threat. That’s why I come here today — not to talk, but to act.” This quote says a lot in very sort words. Which connect to what I was saying at the end of the second sentence.

rashadjc12 said...

I think that the tone of Obama's speech had a very optimistic tone to it. And I also think that you got this sense from this speech that this conference over climate change was going to be a waste of time or another debate on weather climate change is even happening. I agree on the part about a sort of mechanism to ensure that we keep our commitment meaning that there should be some sort of way of checking or warning that we aren't going back on our goals to fight climate change. Which will be very hard for most countries because this is how we have been living most of our lives and this sudden transition will be uncomfortable and hard to go on with.I also agree with the third solution he came up with which was to have financing that supports developing countries and countries vulnerable to climate change. I agree with this because lot's of developing countries' issues with signing on to something with restrictions like a carbon cap are reluctant too because their argument is that all these years bigger countries like the U.S. have been polluting for years and are now rich so they should be allowed to without paying since they have just started to develop and I think that this will make them more willing to sign on to bill for change if their being given some type of aid.

jonathan said...

jonathan gregoy


i feel that this speach was not as powerful or meaningful as i and i suspect many others were expecting of him because of the gravity of the talks and their impact on the future of mankind. he spoke about the devolping and the developed nations requirments in his mind. he said that the USA plans help raise internationaly 100billion by 2020. this is insignifacantly minisqule in comparison to our current expenditures. he concitered this invesment a large step which it would be if it was remotly enough money to cover the costs of developing countries and eveloped countries deal with effects of climate change let alone invest in greener technologys or caping and trading carbon.

Obama also states in the 10th paragraph "i dont know how you have..." he is speaking from a position one step removed from previous agrements and speaking with a sence of superioraty and displacing the importance of the first international climate change agreement. he also said "it would be a hollow victory." this shows that he beleives that the methods and tactics that started the climate agreements was flawed and needs to be changed by "a mechanism to review if we are keeping our commmitments" i agree witht this statement for numerous reasons. i feel that if there is nothing tracking and punnishing then there will be no cause other than doing what some belive to be just and right. as we have seen in numerous past experiences this is not enough alone but is if combined with a system of punishment.

jonathan said...

jonathan gregory
sorry ms.Kissoon, i leaned down on the keyboard and it sent the incomplete assignment to you. here are the last 2 paragraphes.

in the 11th paragraph obama sudently enters america into the imternational cumunity with " we must have financing..." when in the last paraghaph he spake with our america or himself involved. this sudden jump took me by surprisebecause once he said we he stoped criticizing and giving segjestions with his eguation "Mitigation. Transperacy. Financing. it's a clear formula..." i found it extremly facinating how when he said we there was no word of criticism or complaint.

in the 14th paraghaph he begins to wrap up his speech and his theory about how the climate talks should go, he says something very interesting which is "i am sure that many conciter this an imperfect fraimwork..." this caught my eye because it shows thta he knew himself that his proposal was just a rough and flawed outline. in my oppinion this showed that Obama knew or had an understanding of how complicated and complex designing the new protocal is. this also showed that Obama knew that this was not going to be solved in a day or even in a week.

Jordan Couttien said...

I agree with president that we, the United States have to take action and have responsibility with the topic of climate change. We already are the second large emitter and at the world’s largest economy. He recognized the problem that was causing climate change which was that the United States was emitting greenhouse gases. He had really good points to support his opinions on climate change. He was right when he said, “I believe we can act boldly, and decisively, in the face of a common threat. That’s why I come here today — not to talk, but to act.”
I do not think that president Obama covered everything. He did not say a lot about how climate change was affecting the animals and the temperature increasing. He seemed to be only concerned about what happens to the human race. He was not concerned about what we could do to save the animals when they lose their homes and start traveling to places where they are not used to. President Obama has made points that I believe that Americans would follow in order to stop climate change.
From my own opinion, I believe that President Obama has tried his hardest to come up with a plan to help make an agreement with the rest of the country on how to resolve the issue of climate change. I think that his formula, mitigation, transparency, and financing are a very organized way to sort out the matter of climate change. We need to act fast on climate change because it is real unlike what some people think about the topic of global warming. This topic is very serious because it shows how our lifestyles will change. It shows if we are capable on saving animals from becoming extinct.
“After months of talk, after two weeks of negotiations, after innumerable side meetings, bilateral meetings, endless hours of discussion among negotiators, I believe that the pieces of that accord should now be clear.” This quote from president Obama has shown me that he is very dedicated to his job and his position of being a president. He is very serious about the issue of climate change and believes that once the United States plays a role in stopping climate change it will decrease in the amount of greenhouse gases that it is emitting.

taiii <3 said...

I think that Obama's speech was in agreement to the Copenhagen proposal. What I noticed, which was a little annoying was that all he was trying to impose (convince) were drowned with a philosophical style. An example is here, "
We are ready to get this done today — but there has to be movement on all sides to recognize that it is better for us to act than to talk; it’s better for us to choose action over inaction; the future over the past — and with courage and faith, I believe that we can meet our responsibility to our people, and the future of our planet." He is not precise with what he is trying to get across and it's confusing. I wish that he talked more about how Copenhagen would affect our economy, and if it has more pros than cons instead of how important it is to make new turns in history.

I do agree with Obama, that this is a serious case and very real for it is science. Some people do not believe it, that global warming is simply an exaggeration for Earth's natural weather 'swings'. I firmly disagree with that, alongside Barack. We all need to chip in, contribute, because this is the only way anything can really happen. If the U.S. becomes part of the Copenhagen, which is a great substitute for the Kyoto Protocol, it will make it official that global warming and climate change is severe, and all big countries are doing it so smaller countries should too.
I like Baracks idea, but he should have gone more in thought about the smaller countries. After all, isn't it a good idea that if bigger countries contribute, so should the smaller ones? This means giving the poorer developing regions of the world a say. He should have mentioned that developing countries are being affected and are paying consequences with harsher natural disasters, and affected crop growth and no money to afford proper protection. Richer developed regions do not see this reality because they have the money to build boulders and walls for rising sea level, and such. Statistics even prove this worldwide, so I don't understand why not everyone believes so, and why Barack decided to base his speech on a general good idea with no specific issues to cover.
Over all, Obama is clearly set to make huge adjustments to this country by becoming part of serious commitments with several places around the world. I'm glad he's doing so. I know he's convincing many with his philosophical ways, but many have taken a large part against him. Seeing as this is a huge decision, he should have gone in more though about the issues involving the global climate situation and how the economy comes into play and SPECIFICALLY WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS, HOW WE CAN CHANGE/ADJUST THEM, AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS.

Thank you
-tai chica 802

taiii <3 said...

I think that Obama's speech was in agreement to the Copenhagen proposal. What I noticed, which was a little annoying was that all he was trying to impose (convince) were drowned with a philosophical style. An example is here, "
We are ready to get this done today — but there has to be movement on all sides to recognize that it is better for us to act than to talk; it’s better for us to choose action over inaction; the future over the past — and with courage and faith, I believe that we can meet our responsibility to our people, and the future of our planet." He is not precise with what he is trying to get across and it's confusing. I wish that he talked more about how Copenhagen would affect our economy, and if it has more pros than cons instead of how important it is to make new turns in history.

I do agree with Obama, that this is a serious case and very real for it is science. Some people do not believe it, that global warming is simply an exaggeration for Earth's natural weather 'swings'. I firmly disagree with that, alongside Barack. We all need to chip in, contribute, because this is the only way anything can really happen. If the U.S. becomes part of the Copenhagen, which is a great substitute for the Kyoto Protocol, it will make it official that global warming and climate change is severe, and all big countries are doing it so smaller countries should too.
I like Baracks idea, but he should have gone more in thought about the smaller countries. After all, isn't it a good idea that if bigger countries contribute, so should the smaller ones? This means giving the poorer developing regions of the world a say. He should have mentioned that developing countries are being affected and are paying consequences with harsher natural disasters, and affected crop growth and no money to afford proper protection. Richer developed regions do not see this reality because they have the money to build boulders and walls for rising sea level, and such. Statistics even prove this worldwide, so I don't understand why not everyone believes so, and why Barack decided to base his speech on a general good idea with no specific issues to cover.
Over all, Obama is clearly set to make huge adjustments to this country by becoming part of serious commitments with several places around the world. I'm glad he's doing so. I know he's convincing many with his philosophical ways, but many have taken a large part against him. Seeing as this is a huge decision, he should have gone in more though about the issues involving the global climate situation and how the economy comes into play and SPECIFICALLY WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS, HOW WE CAN CHANGE/ADJUST THEM, AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS.

Thank you
-tai chica 802

taiii <3 said...

I think that Obama's speech was in agreement to the Copenhagen proposal. What I noticed, which was a little annoying was that all he was trying to impose (convince) were drowned with a philosophical style. An example is here, "
We are ready to get this done today — but there has to be movement on all sides to recognize that it is better for us to act than to talk; it’s better for us to choose action over inaction; the future over the past — and with courage and faith, I believe that we can meet our responsibility to our people, and the future of our planet." He is not precise with what he is trying to get across and it's confusing. I wish that he talked more about how Copenhagen would affect our economy, and if it has more pros than cons instead of how important it is to make new turns in history.

I do agree with Obama, that this is a serious case and very real for it is science. Some people do not believe it, that global warming is simply an exaggeration for Earth's natural weather 'swings'. I firmly disagree with that, alongside Barack. We all need to chip in, contribute, because this is the only way anything can really happen. If the U.S. becomes part of the Copenhagen, which is a great substitute for the Kyoto Protocol, it will make it official that global warming and climate change is severe, and all big countries are doing it so smaller countries should too.
I like Baracks idea, but he should have gone more in thought about the smaller countries. After all, isn't it a good idea that if bigger countries contribute, so should the smaller ones? This means giving the poorer developing regions of the world a say. He should have mentioned that developing countries are being affected and are paying consequences with harsher natural disasters, and affected crop growth and no money to afford proper protection. Richer developed regions do not see this reality because they have the money to build boulders and walls for rising sea level, and such. Statistics even prove this worldwide, so I don't understand why not everyone believes so, and why Barack decided to base his speech on a general good idea with no specific issues to cover.
Over all, Obama is clearly set to make huge adjustments to this country by becoming part of serious commitments with several places around the world. I'm glad he's doing so. I know he's convincing many with his philosophical ways, but many have taken a large part against him. Seeing as this is a huge decision, he should have gone in more though about the issues involving the global climate situation and how the economy comes into play and SPECIFICALLY WHAT ARE THE PROBLEMS, HOW WE CAN CHANGE/ADJUST THEM, AND WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS.

Thank you
-tai chica 802

musa said...

I agree with most of what President Obama said. It was kind of hard to understand what he was trying to come to besides saying “America has made our choice.” First of all, we are North America; he didn’t distinguish South America from North America. Second of all, it didn’t seem in his speech that he really cared what any other countries had to say about their opinions or thoughts towards this climate change issue.
In Obama’s whole speech, he kept rambling on and on about now is the time to act, not talk. I think he wasted a lot of time by talking about not talking and that we need to solve the problem. WE KNOW THAT! Threw out his whole speech, he did sound very optimistic and hopeful, but I think there was no real point for being so long. I think he just kept rambling just to ramble, and make a long speech, and talk about getting to the point. We are all on the same page; and he would be too, if he didn’t skip the hard part.
The only part of the speech that anyone cared about was somewhere around the three- quarters line. That was the part that he talked about in order to reduce emissions, we should all agree on his choice, to make a clean energy economy. The rest of the speech we just like a very long introduction that continued to the end. It sounded like he was just summarizing all that he knew about this climate change meeting. I was not pleased with the speech my President gave at this Copenhagen meeting.
I think he talked about too much of some kind of introduction, and not enough of the important part (3/4 line). He also about a “clear formula.” The clear Formula consists of mitigation, transparency, and financing. He didn’t really state that idea of his very clearly. He did mention it in most of the paragraphs, but didn’t really explain it.
My opinion on his speech is not very positive. But my opinion of the overall idea of the speech is half and half. I didn’t really like his attitude wile talking. He sounded very bossy and ‘I don’t care who you are and your opinions, this is what I’m doing, so you all will do it to.’ -I know that’s not what he had in mind, but I’d like to think so.

Khadra Smilez said...

i think Obama speech was clear on some parts. One he kept referring back to how we didn't start and we just lay back. second of all we cant just focus on one thing, Climate Change is something big but there's a lot of things that he should of mention. like for example, global Warming he said some things but he should of added examples, Hunger, or economic crisis. i think he should of explained more about droughts, floods, avalanches, heat waves, in the speech, and its been the cause of Climate Change in some parts of Africa and Asia. he did add positive things which is good, but if he added details it would of had much better understanding.
he said in 2020 he will start everything, green to greener, but to honest will that even be better? than he says that "80 percents" will be in 2050, the world would start getting bad and good. i will be 24 by that time in 2020 turner i think 25, in the age of 13 the world is polluted so imagine the 12 years later, the world wouldn't be so well.i mean changing the world should start now, tell us what to do instead of telling us to start now or just wait. he waiting until 2020 which can be worse for us. give us examples, the effects of climate change and global warming, the solutions!
i like how he tell us that its not only the USA its the world. he apply s little stuff for example:The time for talk is over. This is the bottom line: We can embrace this accord, take a substantial step forward, continue to refine it and build upon its foundation. We can do that, and everyone who is in this room will be part of a historic endeavor — one that makes life better for our children and our grandchildren." i didn't like how he just says go do this go do that, after that sentence i want him to say what we can or this will happen blah blah blah. just keep going, don't just stop.
Overall Obama poke perfectly, he made his point clearly and that's what it suppose to do. i think people will listen and learn not to just sit around, they will get up, do what they need to do, and get it done. i bet the world will get cleaner and or greener because of his speech, who knows, right?

Joi said...

I think Obama made his speech very clear. The choices I make would begin to change now that I know the first family and the white house are really taking action.

A big thing I think he needed to expand on is the amount of money it is gonna cost our nations to try to keep this world inline.

It's good that he wants to raise money but it is more important that he knows how much it is gonna cost us and will people even wanna help out and raise money

ka5te blogger said...

I disagree with Obama. I do not believe in global warming, i do not believe in climate change. Yes with climate is changing but it has happened in the past, why is it different now. President Obama said this is science, incorrect because some people that have fancy jobs tell billions of people that the world is in trouble is not only a lie, it is corrupt in my opinion.
Isn't that what this whole thing is about anyway. That our opinion has faded, and now we base our thoughts on science. The problem is not only small, it is embarrassing. We need to stop wasting our time, scaring people about global warming and face the bigger issues in front of us.
I sit in a 45 minute class doing projects on something i don't believe in. I am doing research on why something is true when i don't believe it is. I can see that millions, billions of people believe in this "global warming" and "climate change" but i disagree with what Mr. President is saying. We can keep passing on this myth down from generation to generation but I disagree with our president. He says the United States have made a decision, how about one voice in one earth science class, who says she doesn't believe in this.
Everyone is right, Obama made a great speech, clear and clean, but the thing he doesn't get is opinion, and i have one.

Noah's Blog said...

I feel like this was a very strong speech. However, by word choice, he might have blinded some of the viewers. It sounded great until i actually dug deep to see what he was saying. In actuality, he didn't declare the U.S. would do anything. I don't feel very strong about Global Warming but I do realize it is an issue of titanic measures.
I agree with everything he said. He spoke the truth. He acknowledged Global Warming and spoke on how to stop it. When he spoke about other countries, it was true. He had all true facts, I just didn't like all of them.
Basically, he didn't say the U.S. would do anything to help. He said that he would try to raise as much money as possible. However, other than that, he also said that developing countries would have to contribute a lot more. To me, it felt like hypocrisy. There he was, standing up there, without the Kyoto Protocol even signed, telling the other countries that they needed to do more.
Obama also said that if they didn't do what the U.S. said, nothing would be fixed. He indirectly inferred that if the rest of the world didn't cooperate, nothing would happen. He also told the developing countries that they needed to step up their game and raise more money. He said they shouldn't be relying on the developed countries to pull them out of danger. I felt that he should of legitimately told the other countries if he would cooperate or not. As opposed to trying to take charge of everything.

hamlet compres said...

Hamlet Compres 12/21/09
Editorial of Obama’s speech
I have a couple of reactions to Obama’s speech. One of my reactions is that Obama would really say that there is doubt in there decisions of weather they are going to sign the paper or not. Another reaction I had about what he said that there was doubt is that he is not afraid to admit the truth and that he is not going to lie. Another thing that got my attention was about how he was saying that the USA is taking action by talking to vehicle companies around the world about making more fuel efficient cars, etc… My reaction is if we are really taking a little action why are we still emitting a lot of carbon dioxide, why are we the second most polluted state in the world, if you ask me that’s pretty high up and that’s pretty bad.
I think that when Obama said, “ that it will create millions of new jobs, power new industries, keep us competitive, and spark new innovation. We’re convinced, for our own self-interest, that the way we use energy, changing it to a more efficient fashion.” My reaction was but is it going to keep our economy at a high level or is it going to make it fall again. I really like what Obama is doing here, I really like that he is trying to save the environment, but I really don’t think we can fix everything. I think no matter how long we work at this, I don’t think we are going to be able to fix everything. I also agree with Obama saying that we are not sure that we are prepared, we are not sure that we can support what ever nature brings at us. I’m totally agreeing with that, because we don’t know if we can build dams or walls strong enough to hold the rise of the sea or that strength of the ocean, that’s why I think we need to start taking action.
When Obama said, “ I don’t know how you have an international agreement where we all are not sharing information and ensuring that we are meeting our commitments. That doesn’t make sense. It would be a hollow victory.” I think that is saying if we don’t fulfill our promises, our commitments, and how we do things we would just be the same as we are now. Its not we start out by doing what we planned to do but then in the middle just give up that will be like “winning the battle but losing the war.” That will be like Obama said a “Hollow victory.” That’s how I think everyone right now feels, can our economy make it to the end? Because we would waste about 100 billion dollars by 2020, which is a lot.
When we think about it to me its going to be a good future for nature, but is it going to be a good future for us? Also Is the path we are taking going to be a good run or is it going to have its “bumps on the road?” In the speech Obama was saying that it would be a better life for our grandchildren if we act now. But its going to take a really long time to get the rules straight and to take actions. In the end I agree with what Obama is saying but I think they should try to determine all the out comes if we get into this and how our economy is going to be affected.

hamlet compres said...

Hamlet Compres 12/21/09
Editorial of Obama’s speech
I have a couple of reactions to Obama’s speech. One of my reactions is that Obama would really say that there is doubt in there decisions of weather they are going to sign the paper or not. Another reaction I had about what he said that there was doubt is that he is not afraid to admit the truth and that he is not going to lie. Another thing that got my attention was about how he was saying that the USA is taking action by talking to vehicle companies around the world about making more fuel efficient cars, etc… My reaction is if we are really taking a little action why are we still emitting a lot of carbon dioxide, why are we the second most polluted state in the world, if you ask me that’s pretty high up and that’s pretty bad.
I think that when Obama said, “ that it will create millions of new jobs, power new industries, keep us competitive, and spark new innovation. We’re convinced, for our own self-interest, that the way we use energy, changing it to a more efficient fashion.” My reaction was but is it going to keep our economy at a high level or is it going to make it fall again. I really like what Obama is doing here, I really like that he is trying to save the environment, but I really don’t think we can fix everything. I think no matter how long we work at this, I don’t think we are going to be able to fix everything. I also agree with Obama saying that we are not sure that we are prepared, we are not sure that we can support what ever nature brings at us. I’m totally agreeing with that, because we don’t know if we can build dams or walls strong enough to hold the rise of the sea or that strength of the ocean, that’s why I think we need to start taking action.
When Obama said, “ I don’t know how you have an international agreement where we all are not sharing information and ensuring that we are meeting our commitments. That doesn’t make sense. It would be a hollow victory.” I think that is saying if we don’t fulfill our promises, our commitments, and how we do things we would just be the same as we are now. Its not we start out by doing what we planned to do but then in the middle just give up that will be like “winning the battle but losing the war.” That will be like Obama said a “Hollow victory.” That’s how I think everyone right now feels, can our economy make it to the end? Because we would waste about 100 billion dollars by 2020, which is a lot.
When we think about it to me its going to be a good future for nature, but is it going to be a good future for us? Also Is the path we are taking going to be a good run or is it going to have its “bumps on the road?” In the speech Obama was saying that it would be a better life for our grandchildren if we act now. But its going to take a really long time to get the rules straight and to take actions. In the end I agree with what Obama is saying but I think they should try to determine all the out comes if we get into this and how our economy is going to be affected.

Sydni Gee said...

I think that Obama's speech was very good as an inspirational message. It didn't really inform me about what exactly he was planning for this country to help reduce the causes and effects of global warming. I wanted to know more about laws and decisions we were going to make about fixing the environmental issues. I think he should have emphasized that.

I do agree with what President Obama said. I liked the fact that he talked about the steps the whole world needed to take to help fight global warming. He explained how developed countries were going to recieve money and advanced technology to help them become more eco-friendly. Also, I think his idea to involve developing countries, like Brazil, in this whole environment plan was good because the whole world is at fault and everyone has to listen in and do their part to help.

In my Obama speech I touched on how the planet is rising in temperature and what the effects were. I think he should have talked more about that. I did however like how he formatted his speech. He started out by saying how he knows the risks and dangers of climate change and how America has had a lot to do with the pollution. Then he spoke about what the general plans were for the world. He ended by Restating his beginning and talking about how much time the whole process should take. His speech was very similar to the standard speech format, but his was longer and more detailed.

Overall, I think that Mr. Obama's speech was good and it will get people really thinking about global warming and how bad it really is. I think that the climate talk will be a successful one with more speeches like his that include details about specific actions to make this planet greener.

Cody said...

I think that Obama have a very good speech. I think that he got his point across. What Obama said was very differnt and better than what I said in my speech. His had more of an impact. Obama does want to act now and fast. Obama knows and sees the dangers happening. Obama is not gonna hesitate to try and reduce green house gasses. I think Obama will be a man of his word and start as soon as he can to reduce green hose gasses. I support and belive in Obama. I also think Obama will clean up the past years by doing good in 2010. Obama talked about things like how smaller undeveloped contries have a lot of problems. He talked about why they cant help out because they dont have a lot of money. He also talked about how more developed contries dont help out. Obama said they feel we dont have to pay are dues. I think he is right we do have to pay our dues. If you are on this Earth this is your home and you have to help it. If you dont this earth will get worse faster than it already is. I did like Obamas speech and im glad he decided to go to Copenhagen to show they the US a big developed country like us does care. Obama spoke and stood up for every US citizen. Weather they wanted him to or not. personaly I will play my part to help out in any way i can.

juneday1827 said...

Emily Alvarado
In reaction to the speech I read about what President Obama said and decided at the Copenhagen conference on climate change I have to say that I think It made sense. There were a few things that I could feel he was leading up to but it seemed he did not want to say them. Overall, I can say that I agree with him and that he does make enough sense for me to believe him. I just feel that he should have mentioned just a few things more. He did not talk about the things that America will need very much in order to really participate in this and he did not give too much information on the exact science.
The first thing that hit me about this speech was that He did not mention anything about America and the fact that fighting to protect the earth is going to be a very hard challenge to overcome. We don't have any money. We are borrowing money from China and constantly adding on to our dept to China because of the war. People do not have money to be healthier, to be green. I know that We really do need to take on this challenge but we are going to need a lot of help. That was what he was trying to get to at the end but he didn't really come straight forward to that conclusion. America needs help.
The second thing that I thought was missing, and it did not have to be there very much but I think that sometimes it helps people get a better idea, was the scientific evidence. There were some really good moments in the speech where I felt strong and ready to fight to save the earth but then again the numbers and facts are what hit people the most. It is proof that we need to fix ourselves. The facts are what inspire people the most. This is really just in my opinion. This is only what I think is a very good way to get people to really work together.
All in all this was a very good speech made by our president, Obama. I agree with Obama because he is right about many things that are mentioned in his speech. He said something that he had mentioned many times before. He said that in order to fix this problem we all must act upon it. That was the main point he was making in this entire speech and that point just happens to be very true. That line has already inspired many to start changing their lives and doing what is right for the world.

Katey Librett said...

sorry, I've been posting in the wrong place.

Obama made a great speech about the environment. Obama really has a way with words, and his speechs are amazing. Obama's speech about the environment was great. He made a lot of promises, and I think it would be great to see our country come through. I think the speech Will get us started in the right direction.

Now it is pretty clear that the US intends to get involved with this fight for the environment. I wonder if the country will choose to follow our president. Right now, the country seems kind of split. Obama may be president, but ultimately he can do very little without the people's consent. So now this brings up the question; will our country follow Obama on his mission to save the environment?

I think Obama's plans for our country sound great, however I can't help worrying if it is the right thing. It is pretty clear that climate change presents a very large issue. But we have several issues that are much closer. The consequences of climate change lurk ominously ahead, while other issues currently terrorize our country. whatever the solution suggested, there is no doubt that it will come at a price. It may cost several jobs, and money. Is it the right thing to do right now?

Obama's speech was very impressive. It promises a lot, but it makes me wonder. Can the U.S. afford to support this cause? I understand the importance of action, and the danger we would be in if we chose not to take action, but i wonder if now is the right time. Obama is in a dangerous position right now, if he chooses to continue with the climate change he risks loosing the approval of many voters, but if not, he looses the approval of many countries. So, i guess the real question is who does he feel is more important he please? I look forward to seeing what he does, and how he handles the issue.

Izzy McGarvey said...

I agree with Obama that the Global warming is a big thing because without the earth we have no were to go. He made a very clear speech and made his point and had very good idea about becoming more eco friendly. And the more we get better at being eco then the more we can save the earth.

I think that the fact that he wants to raise billions and billions of dollars to get on the problem of global warming is going to work. Also when younger kids see that the president is caring about the environment they will try to help out. When this does into work will definitely help out. I am so existed about to be apart of this in a way.

This crisis of global warming in something very serious and should have been deleted with a long time ago because probably by now there would have been better methods to this. However I am still happy that we are still paying attention to this.
We have come a very long way and we will be doing better and better at this. Obama has made a really good point that will change the way that people think about global warming.

Danny Carrasquillo Jr. said...

I both agree and diasgree im sort of in the middle of the two. Obama made a good convincing speech. I think his speech is perfect. I can really tell that he is focused and determined on reversing global warming. But i think he could have added a bit more and that he should have backed up his answer.
e should have said what his plan was. Where he would help. Areas that needed help. I think he should have added stuff about deforestation and health issues. He could have made a better speech. But I'm very happy that he agreed to the treaty.
I''m upset that everyone talks about global warming. It affects us a bit now and im happy we are all willing to change this issue finally. But currently we have more issues like the economical crisis.
I really hope this meeting is effective. I liked everythinng he mentioned. I hope this ends on a postive note and that finally we can do something on this negative effect on the world.

Aiko said...

When I finished reading President Obama’s Climate Speech, I agreed on most of the ideas and facts that he was telling to everyone else in Copenhagen. But I disagreed on one thing that he was telling at his speech. The reason that he came to Copenhagen for his speech is because of the climate change poses a grave and it growing danger to many other people on this planet, earth. The climate change that is happening right now is probably giving us the signal of warning to stop wasting the time of thinking slowly of any ideas to save our future life. It well needs many help and agreement from many countries’ power and suggestion that they should be on with United States of America’s suggestions.

I agreed on the part when he said about our ability is to take the collective action in the doubt right now, and hang it in the balance on our hand. Also to be our responsibility to address the climate change, and the responsibility of we intend to meet each other. They both sound great for me to have worship all around the countries together for helping each other. We should also able to have control/handle the balance of the collective action on our hand, so nothing mistaken would happen in our future. It would might take soon as possible to help our planet when all of other countries agreed with our suggestions.

I disagreed on one part in his speech. He told that no matter what happens in Copenhagen, America is going to continue on the course of action to mitigate our emissions. Also that we are going to move straight towards to a clean energy economy. It made me felt terrible to the people who live in Copenhagen that United States doesn’t care what would happen to them in their future. United States should care more about Copenhagen and their suggestions, so there might not be a big argument coming out of them and we all could go on to our goal faster.

From his speech, I think I heard enough facts/comments about our problems that is all about our climate change. He said many facts about when we should start, how, and why that we have problems of the climate change that is happening right now. It is better to know that we should listen to what President Obama says in every speech, so our thoughts might be change and he would notice that. We should know that the climate change is happening because of the greenhouse gas emissions, waste of garbage, and more that we make stuff worse than before. We should think clever but not taking a long time, so we would not miss any thing important around us. What President Obama says is mostly right to help our planet, Earth.
-Aiko.T, 802