DUE MONDAY 3/8
Write a 2 paragraph response to the questions below.
1. What did you learn?
2. How do you feel about what you learned?
3. What are some questions you now have about what you saw in the video?
4. What are you confused about after watching the video?
*I am not posting your responses to the blog until everyone has posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
55 comments:
in the video, How the Earth Was made:New York, i learned that ice pushed the mountains into the ground that used to be near midtown and lower manhattan in new york. there was a belief that there were mountains that pushed down the bedrocks before skyscrapers were made in lower manhattan and midtown. i learned that a rock has a kelitoscope of minerals that leads to a window of answers from thousands of years ago. 250 years ago, the continents were together, and the east coast of north america was created by the atlanic ocean because of the volcanic eruptions spliting africa and north america. Also, the icesheets that went over Bear mountain were four times the size of the empire state building, and this icesheet may have flowed over central park.
i feel that it is very interesting about how scientist are able to trace answers from a rock from about a thousand years ago because of the many minerals that the rock is made up of. a question that i have about the video is how scientist are able to determine how a sheetrock from bear mountain would be able to flow over central park? after watching this video, i am not confused about anything.
In the film of New York City,of how the earth was made, i believe that i learned about 200 or 300 years ago the continents were together and the east coast of North America was made by the Atlantic ocean because the magma from the volcano erupted, causing Africa and north America to split. Also, i learned that if we ever have any other hurricane, earthquakes,or even floods, we would easily sink because one new york city is very valuable and plus, we live on a island, so we can sink.i feel very cautious about the facts i learned because it lead me steps into seeing the world a different way of life, from the past, and even future.
the questions i still have are about the volcano rocks, did it trigger the split between our continents, when it was all one continents, now its 7 (seven continents) continents. i am confused about the film is the bedrock because honestly, how did it become a bed rock, why is it called bed rock,and what forms or happens after a bed rock?
One thing that I learned while watching the video was how Nyc was once covered by an ice sheet that was 4 times bigger than the Empire State building. Also what I learned was how Lake Iroquois was formed at the end of the last ice age. As well I learned that when the land spreaded the Atlantic Ocean was formed. I feel surprised and happy about what I have learned. Its also a good experience when you learn about the history.
Some questions that I have about this video is how hard is it to find all the information that pieces everything? Another question that I have about the video is how from the info that they get do they picture what happened? Another question is how do they now that an ice sheet reached two places that are about 50 miles apart? Something that I am confused about is how did the land move. Also what I am confused about is how a giant ice sheet turn into a city like NYC?
After watching the video of how the earth was made, I learned that all the continents were once together but parted because of the Magma. At the end of the last ice age tectonic plates were united. 16thousand years ago, glaciers that were melting left behide 220ft walls of debris. A powerful flood might have been the cause of the now empty space called the Narrows. There were ice sheets that covered Bear Mountain making it look like was not there. Some of the ice sheets might have even covered parts of central park.
I feel more educated and aware of how the earth was made. Now I know that once all the continents were together and they spilt up. Some questions I have about the video is, What will happen if we have another flash flood? And, How do the science no were the bolder came from and how does the size of the bolder determine the strength of the flood. I am confused about, how the scientist collect and know that there data and research is correct.
In the video, I learned that NYC is full of minerals that hold clues to the earth's past. I learned that skyscrapers are built on large rocks because they provide ample support for taller buildings. I learned that NYC would be completely unprepared for an earthquake or hurricane because of the tall buildings and large population. I haven't seen enough of the movie to learn much more.
I am confused about what made the ice melt. What made the temperature rise? How did society get rebuilt after everything was wiped out? Also, how do scientists connect the minerals with the past?
I leanred that 250 years ago all the continents came togather. This formed a super continent named "Pangea". Over time the Atlantic ocean came and split "Pangea" from the U.S. This created the easter coast of the U.S. and NYC. I alos learned that a glacier 4 times as big as the Empire State building coverd NYC. The reason why we have a variety of rocks in CentralPark is because the huge glacier carried many rocks from all over the world. Then the glacier moved here with the rocks. When it melted the rocks stayed were it melted. We can prove this theory by "chatter marks" because the glacier leaves a scratch on the rock from scraping against it.
I feel good about what i learned. That video was easy to follow and funto watch so I felt like that helped me learn alot more. I will be ready when my teachers teach me this in highschool.One of my questions in the video is how do glaciers move acrose land because I thought they could only move in water? Is it by tectonic plates? I was not confused by anything but my question that i had. Other than that i understood most of what they were talking about.
In the video fo hoew the earth was made, i learned the past physical stuctre of many parts aroud the world including NYC. It showed the minerals located in the nyc rocks called nyc shist. it also proved hoe the nyc and eupore and africa and south america were all once connected by rocks and hoe mamgma broke it up and they proved it by studying the rocks. i think that now that they discovered the first formations of land on erath, they will uncover many more exciting facts aboutthe beggining of earths time.
what im confused about from the video was how the rocks in the minerals n the rocks what they were talking about that. it wwas very confusing hoe they were talking about the direction of the rocks and the mineral magnectics were going. i was very confused. i also didnt get how they kept changing and how he used a compass to mesasure that. but it was really coool. i dont know how they made those bog machines to find all that evidence?
In this video of New York City, it was about how the earth was made. When I was watching it, I learned that Manhattan schist is very strong formed under great depressor, and the glacier ice was four times higher than sky scraper/empire-state building.The facts about glacier ice surprised me, because I would never imagine that there were something that's four times higher than sky scraper right now. When I was learning many facts from this video, I felt that this was very interesting to watch all the time, even watching it more than 5 times. Learning about the minerals, glacier ice, and how earth made makes many people would have more interest about knowing the past time about our earth.
I'm confused about how could the scientists would know about the glacier ice was four times higher than the sky scraper. It would might be higher than four times or lower than four times of sky scraper. I want to know clear facts about how they got that answer and do they disagree or agree about it of their own opinion. I do not think that I have question for this video right now. (Aiko-802)
I learned a lot of surprising facts about my home town that I never even heard of. For the first time hearing that manhattan used to be buried by ice glaciers 4 times as high as the empire state building is such a shock to me, I'm not so sure to trust it as a fact at first, but more of a fictional hypothesis. I also never knew that manhattan used to be home to mountains that were later wore down (erosion) by wind, rain, and snow. I always wondered why there were deep, parallel lines in the big rocks of Central Park. I always thought that they looked like they were damaged from construction, or placed there artificially (or on purpose). I never knew that ice glaciers dragged, scratched, and dropped them there all the way from up state (by bear mountain and the Adirondacks). The rocks in Central Park have identical strides in them to the ones way up north on bear mountain. Some part of me always thought that all the continents once fit together like a puzzle. And the pieces just floated away from each other. I had no idea what the palisades actually were. They were the sides of the pieces. I drive by them every week end, not knowing what they really were.
I learned soooooo much from this video. And I was proud of it to. I love to learn any way, but to learn about questions you always had and they were just too random to ask that I thought no one knew the answer to. When I got home that day of watching my answers in class, I started sharing them with mom and dad. (I think they thought I was crazy). I was so enthusiastic about it., telling them big news to me, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I just hope I'm not the only person in class that was this excited about watching that creation documentary as I was. (Then I know I'm crazy).
Some questions I now have are: How can rain, wind, and snow ware down a mountain?, What caused so much lava to cover so much of the earth's surface?, Why did the continents break apart in the shapes that they did?, Is it related to earth quakes?, and Are there more great historic facts about the creation of earth that I don't know about?
I am still confused of how this is the first I've heard of this. I know its not something one would bring up in an average day conversation, but you'd think they'd tell you this before eighth grade?
in the video, i learned that new york used to be at the equator many years ago because they sit on the tectonic plates full of magma that move. i also learned that the rocks berried under new york where as tall as 4 times the empire state building. new york used to be part of Africa. 400 billion years ago Africa and North America collided and Africa went under North America and that created mountains on North America. and lastly i learned that new york has had many earthquakes before.
i feel surprised. because half of the stuff i learned i didn't know before. like that new york has had earthquakes before. i thought that new york has never had them. I'm also very interested in how scientists can learn so much about the past from a simple small part of a rock that was there for thousands of years. it sounds like fun to find out history from thousands and thousands of years ago.
the only question i have is that if an earthquake hit new york today, would it affect the whole city or only the fault line on 125th street?
i am not confused about anything.
in the video, i learned that new york used to be at the equator many years ago because they sit on the tectonic plates full of magma that move. i also learned that the rocks berried under new york where as tall as 4 times the empire state building. new york used to be part of Africa. 400 billion years ago Africa and North America collided and Africa went under North America and that created mountains on North America. and lastly i learned that new york has had many earthquakes before.
i feel surprised. because half of the stuff i learned i didn't know before. like that new york has had earthquakes before. i thought that new york has never had them. I'm also very interested in how scientists can learn so much about the past from a simple small part of a rock that was there for thousands of years. it sounds like fun to find out history from thousands and thousands of years ago.
the only question i have is that if an earthquake hit new york today, would it affect the whole city or only the fault line on 125th street?
i am not confused about anything.
1.the earth was a ever changing place, be it moving continents, grinding glaciers, but most of all the we learned how new york was made, how the new york splinted off the giant continent, how the Hudson was blocked then a flash flood breakthrough, and a grinding glacier that covered central park.
2.i feel like that the world will never stop changing the the world map would have to change too.
3. i would like to know what is new york destiny, will crash into Africa to become a super continent, will their be a new york dooms day.
4. i am confused about the part about when new york was breaken off and became part of America, also about the part when the ice age ended why didn't the ice stay.
In the video of how the Earth Was Made in New York, I learned that many of the rocks that are in Central Park were once tall mountains that were originally there many years ago, they weren't put there by mankind like the other things in the Park. I also learned that if New York were to have a hurricane we would be in great trouble only because one, we live on an island and two, our tall sky scrapers won't hold up against a massive flood which will end us up in the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.
After hearing this information I know that hopefully I would've lived a long life.
There are only a few questions that I have, one being is how long did it take for the two tactonic plates to collide? And how are they made? Two, how long was New York in the equator for? I'm not really confused about anything.
I learned new york's skyline shape is due to how the bedrock formed. That on 125th street there is a fault line and new york is in for a violent earthquake one of these days. New York has had earthquakes before. New York is in between to major fault lines. New York was once part of the east coast of Africa. I'm really not surprised about what we learned. I always knew about this stuff except for the glaciers and mountains.
Is the 125th st. fault line the only one in new york? Is the new yoork earthquake going to be able to kill a bunch of people? Im not really confused about anything. The video is clear and to the point. tHERE IS NOTHING TO BE CONFUSED ABOUT.
I learned that once before a ice sheet four times as big as the empire state building covered new york city. Also that all over manhattan there are a rock/mineral called Manhattan Schist. Sky scrapers need a rock base to be built. i feel worrisome about what the future may hold because there maybe a earthquake that puts all the buildings down to the ground. That would leave thousands homeless.
Will this happen again? Is it possible that it would make our ports too big? I am confused about where the ice came from. Also where there humans here when that happened?
In the video i learned how new york was made and its buildings were made. I found out why they're skyscrapers downtown and midtown. Because their are mountain peaks that skyscrapers are built around to help steady the skyscraper. i also learned that there used to be a big country named banjo( i think).
i feel that the film answered many questions i had when i was a kid and questions i have today. i also feel that the movie helped me realize how new york as made and what those rocks in central park was about.
i still have some questions on the plates and what they did to make the mountains in North America.
i was confused about the lava and what they did for new york.
In the How The Earth Was Made video, I learned that 250 Million years ago the earth was covered by glaciers four times the height of the Empire State. Ad it moved, it ripped off pieces of rock and scattered it all over the world. The scratch marks onthe rocks today prove this theory because the coasts of the continets (who were once connected) had the same stratch marks and same directions. Knowing this definitely intruiges me to find out more about how certain things are placed on our planet, and the physical history of Earth based on Evolution. Some questions that I have is that, is this century just merely part of a greater evolution in our planet? And, how will global warming affect our world's natural physical changes throughout time. What I am confused about is why the glaciers had formed in the first place, and if it was because of an ice age and if it was, was that ice age naturally occuring?
1. What did you learn?
I learned that all of New York is on top of a bed rock. That the huge rocks that add a pretty touch to our city is caused by it crashing into the earth. And I learned that when the rock was formed and deformed under the pressure of rain, wind and ice compressed together, it moved the Earth's plate underneath its crust.
I also learned that along time ago that was the reason as to how the continents we have today were no longer connected. And that was a question I always seemed to have.
I also learned that when you are building an apartment building you need to have an anchor to hold the concrete down.
2. How do you feel about what you learned?
There was so much that I learned but it would have took so long for me to write it all down on this blog. I felt that I learned so much about a topic that is really important to the earth and the history of my location.
It also shows that we really are oblivious to what happened way before us. And that if we were ever to look back, we would notice that there is so much more to learn about in this topic.
3. What are some questions you now have about what you saw in the video?
Some Questions I have is how did the ice that pushed the continents apart? Will we ever experience a hurricant that will truly affect us? And how do the minerals that were found inside the bedrocks help us function as a society?
4. What are you confused about after watching the video?
I am not really confused about anything in the video. The meaning behind it was pretty basic to me. And the ideal lesson being taught was well approached. I personally think that the history was pretty amazing. And the fact that it actually happened to us was pretty surprising.
From the video I learned about how New York was made through a lot of earthquakes and melted glaciers. Basically, the Hudson River was made by a very big glacier that melted. The rocks that hold up the city beneath us are called “Manhattan Rocks.” They said that if there was an earthquake in New York today it would be catastrophic because we are built on Manhattan Rocks. From the earthquakes, the ground would push into each other to form land. I feel like I learned a lot about where I live and how the Hudson River was made. I think it is pretty crazy to think about how catastrophic it would be if there was an earthquake today and that it is possible since Manhattan was made from a bunch of earthquakes. Overall, I think the video was pretty amazing and informative.
Now I wonder how scientist know that an earthquake in New York would be so catastrophic and what are some ways we could try to predict earthquakes. I also want to know how they know there used to be something blocking the Hudson River and how the rocks they found prove that. There are a lot of huge rocks everywhere like the ones in Central Park so I don’t get how that proves their theory. I’m confused about why the glacier would decide to melt and why these earthquakes in New York City don’t still take place. There are a lot of earthquakes in California and a long the Pacific so I don’t get why they think New York is so stable now and why it couldn’t just have an earthquake at any time.
In the video, How the Earh Was Made I learned that all the continents on Earth were once connected to form a large continent caled Pangea but eventually broken up by magma. I also learned that New York City was once covered in a thick sheet of ice that was four times as high as the Empire State Building. A questions I still have are how do scientists figure out the amount of years ago that all these events occured. I'm still unclear about how the continents formed and how they broke apart.
The video showed us about how Manhattan was created. It talked to us about bedrocks and how the hudson river formed and many other things. I think the video was very interesting. It was really interesting to learn about how the land we call Manhattan was made. I learned a lot of different things i didn't know. One question i have about the video is will Manhattan be the same way in the next 10 or more years? Will we have more earthquakes or not? I'm not really confused about anything. But i would like to know more about how those pieces of land came to be.
-Tiffany Cruz
801
in the video i learned how Earth was made. i learned that 250 years ago that the continents were together but it broke by 2 forces of water and ice. also that the East coast of north america was created by volcano eruptions spliting up africa and north america. also that the ice sheets were four times the size of our Empire State Building.
i felt amazed that the continents were once connected and that north america and africa were connected as well. i also felt that this video was very interesting and how scientist are able to get answers from a rock that was from thousands of years ago.
one question that i have is if there are still rocks from thousands of years ago around.
after i watched this movie i was not confused at all.
In the film How the Earth Was Made: New York I learned a couple things. For one i learned that New York use to be an area that was all mountains and snow and that those mountains were created by the crash between Africa and North America in the east coast of North America and the North West coast of Africa. While the continents were together North America was at the equator and had no east coast and water connection. Later the continent of pangea split by magma rising from the Earths center rose and started spliting the land, when the lands split the West continents such as North America drifted away from the center of the equator and drifted west and upwards to its current positions, that created the alantic ocean. Later on New York was covered by a cap of ice 4 times of the empire state building, which caused to break down the mountains and move boulders to unusual places, this was also the creation of the big hudson river, the glacier made the small v shaped stream into huge u shaped river, when the glaciers melted it created a block where the ocean meets the river of debri, that was cleared by a flash flood from iraquoi lake that started to pour out when the glacier barior melted, proof was found by a mamoths tusk.
My reaction to this film was wow i am so shocked that we are actually living over what use to be like miles high mountains. I was also amazed that the events just seem to fall inplace perfectly creating everything and positioning everything "correcty." But i still have a couple of questions from what they said in the movie. One is they said that when the rocks start to chip they create miniture earthquakes my question is, If the scientist know that something might happen based on the rocks chiping when do they expect this to happen? and Do we have an evacuation plan thats really safe and can almost everyone out of New York? My last question is, Is New York turning out to be as safe as people use to think it was?
In the video on how earth was made, One thing i learned was that all of the continents and stuff were once all together but later some magma seperated them. I also learned that there was glacier larger than the empire state building! The rocks in central park had the same marks on it as a place called bear mountain did. I also learned that New york had a catostrophic hurricane a long time ago and if there was another one this day, it could cause serious damage.
I thought it was interesting to learn where attrations in my city were made and where they came from. I"m not really confused about anything. I don't really have any questions either. Oh, I'm kind of confused about the glacier and how it got there and melted. How long did that take and wouldn't it cause a lot of damage and stuff?(i know. Don't ask it's the only question I could think of right now...)~who am i you ask? look up. ;3
After watching the movie, I learned that a long time ago their was a big ice sheet four times as big as the empire state and covered New york city. Another thing is that the minerals inside the rocks covered clues or secrets to the earths past. Also that glaciers 16 thousand years ago left behind a wall of 220 feet of debris. Their was so much information in this video on how the earth was made.
I feel that I understand more and I am educated more on how the earth was made. The questions I have are why did the continents break up and how did they make the shape that it did? I am confused on why the glaciers formed and how they melted?
In the New York Video I learned that a lot of our sky scrapers are built on big rocks that were left from the end of a huge mountain. I also learned that when two pieces of land come together it causes land erosion which is when they push against each other so basically a mountain forms. I think what i learned is pretty cool and interesting. It's so wierd how the earth moves, especially since we can't feel it. Each millimeter the tatonic plates move it can cause a huge difference over the years.
I'm wondering why we don't have good earthquake proof or hurricane proof buildings in NY if we know this information. Also, I don't get exactly how the tatonic plates move. Is it the heat? Or the magnetic energy?
I learned a lot about the history of New York. I learned that New york was once the center of a giant continent. It's terrain was very different, there was once giant mountains. Our city, is built around the remains of these times. New York's geological history has allowed it to become the great city it is. A massive flood, volcanic eruptions, and mass extinction are all a part of New York's history.I think that all of this is really hard to imagine. I can't believe what New York went through to become what it is. I think it is very interesting.
One question I have is : Is this information definite? Or is it just a theory about the origin of New York. Also, I wonder how they pieced all of this together. Is it all data, or is some of it very educated guesses?I think the video explained itself pretty well. I am curious to learn more about New york's history.
In the New York Video I watched I learned a lot of things. For example a few things I learned were 1. On 125th street there is a fault line, 2.New York has had earthquakes before, 3.Skyscrapers are built on large rocks because they provide ample support for taller buildings 4.If were was other hurricane,earthquakes,floods, we would easily sink and also that 5.New York City was once covered by ice sheets that was 4 times bigger than the Empire State building. I feel that it was very important for me to learn about this because it as about the place i live on. If something was going to happen i would know why the New York State could not handle it. If i never knew the things I loved from watching this video I would be almost clue less about the place I call home.
One question that I still have is what are the minerals that they found in the rocks to know so much about how New York City was made. Other question I have is what do the scientist think is going to happen next and if it is had what can we start doing to stop it. There was nothing confusing to me after watching the video there was just own answered questions that would help me understand the making of New York City.
In the video, I learned all about how the rocks in central park and other places were formed. I also learned that those rocks keep out buildings stable and help them. Those rocks are there from a long time ago. They are the Earth pushed up from plates moving under the land. I learned this is also how mountains get formed. Also i learned that all the continents once were one and over time the moved. New York was really close to the equator but then it moved. I do think its interesting how they built Central Park around these huge rocks. what we learned was really interesting and fun to learn. I learned a lot of new things i didn't know before. I don't have any questions.
some of the things that i learned from this video are that the world was once one whole continent called Panjea, that many entire species were wipped out from the creation of New york and all of the northeast part of North America, and that the bedrock creating the face of New York was once under enormouse preasure.
I was very surprised with some facts and had already somewhat known of others. Something that did surprise me was the fact that New York was once under a giant glacier, four times as tall as the Empire State building.
I have a few more questions about what will happen in the future of New York. They explained what they are predicting but i wanted to hear more specific details about our possible end and what it might have to do with climate change.
There isnt too much about the video that confused me. There were some things that confused me while watching the movie but it was pretty straight forward to me.
what i learned in the video was that manhatten the borrough we go to school on sits on a big peice of bedrock that that was brought to the bottem of the river by a huge tidal wave. parts of the bedrock comes out from central park and more locations like in between 2 buildings. there is a big crack or line going across 125 street because of an earthqauke. new york city would be the most vunerable city to earth qaukes and huricanes because our city has so many sky scrapers on un levled ground which would cost millions of dollars.
i am scared knowing what would happean to the city because we all live in manhatten and our school is probably on unstable bedrock which we could possibly die by an earthquake the building would probably tumble down on its self.
i have no questions.
i am not cunfused
In the video I saw how New York formed. I learned about how all of the attributes that made New York so important to its current inhabitants and the ones we massacred. I learned how the port was formed. The natural harbor of Manhattan is really a gouged out path formed by an ice sheet 4x as high as the Empire State building which means it was roughly 408 floors...
I also learned about the way the glacier traveled through rock striations. I learned that there were a few earthquakes here which could happen again. I learned that the reason we have nearby acces to the sea is due to a humongous* flood.
Well I liked watching it and it exited me to know that soon the city we now know as Manhattan will be destroyed by a new glacier or perhaps a fault!
I also loiked learning about how they charted the path using bear mountain and its rock directions.
Where did the scrub pines in upstate new yorkcome from. Where did the reddish rocks originate. If the plates in the mid-atlantic collided, would we have a tsunami?
I'm not confused about anything but how Global warming can create an ice age.
Karl
well what i learned in this video how the earth was made was that i never knew that there were mountains in manhattan and caused all those rockss popping out ffrom the ground. Also that all the contients were connected at this one point and that new york was real close to the equator.
In the video i learned a lot about how ice pushed the mountains onto the ground near downtown.
The mountains pushed down the bedrock before people even made the skyscrapers. I feel that what i learned would help me a lot if i wanted to study mountains or if i would study that in high school or college.
I have no questions about the video.
i learned that sooner or later new york city will go down hill. and the reason for that is us. I am pretty sad about what i have learned from this video. some of the stuff is really scary. but im also glad that hopefully it won't be in my time.
A question that i have is when exactly will it happen. can it happen while are grandkids grandkids are still alive. will we live in fear?
I learned that New York was formed by giant sheets of ice 4 times the size of the empire state building. New York was also formed by humongous mountains which created the bedrock that we build skyscrapers on. I'm actually a bit shocked to find out that there are fault lines so close to where i lived. I didn't think that earthquakes took place anywhere near Manhattan. Now i know that there's a fault line on 125th street.
I am wondering if during Pangea there was any where the Hudson River is. I also want to know if we've ever found fossils of prehistoric humans in the Hudson Valley. I go to summer camp in the Hudson Valley so the parts involving it really interested me. I'M not really confused about any part of the video. It was very straightforward with everything.
In the video on the ancient geology of NY State I learned all about the geological history of NY state and especially NYC. For example, I didn't know about the bedrock under our building foundations. I also didn't know about the mountain range that spanned the Harbor. Even before this, Africa used to touch NY. The last two did not so much surprise me, because I know about how the Earth used to be a lot different geographically. I did, however find it interesting. It was good to find the origins of our city.
I wasn't confused by much on the video. Everything was pretty well explained and I took alot of notes. However, It confused me to know that Africa touched New York City. This left me with one question; Didn't Africa touch South America, not North America? I mean you can even tell it when you look at a map, so then where did SDouth America get its shape?
I learned many things I didn't know about New York City. What I learned was that New York City was once the center of a giant continent. It's terrain differed in many ways, there was once huge mountains. Our city is built around the remains of when this existed. New York City's geological history has permit it to become the amazing city it grew to be.Volcanic eruptions, a massive flood, and mass extinction are all a part of New York's history at one point. It's very hard to believe New York City went through all this to become what it is today;It's beyond interesting, and i look forward to learning more.
I have no questions about this video, my questions were already answered throughout the video; one of them was, how they know all this is accurate.
I learned that the coast collided with eastern Africa.That when this happened mountains were created from the collision of the continents this was called pangia. Also that the hutson vally use to be a stream. when a glacier pased through New York and left marks on Bear mountain which is now a tourist destination.
I am satisfied with what I learned, now as emotions are concerned angry because we as people are destroying this world even just by being here.One oueston I have is to who did the documentory and it is what are his thoughts and statments on this subject.Something that I am still cofused about is how minerals are still the big picture here and we are talking about how the earth was made.
In the How earth was made video:New York I learned that a long time ago all the contents were together and as years went by they separated. When they were in the process of separating some continents collided and created mountains because one part of the continent would go under the other part of the opposite continent that was on the collision course. All the evidence in the movie came from rocks.
I thought that in the video they could of had more evidence than basing everything on the rocks. I don't have any questions and i understood what they were saying about the earth
From watching the video about the history of New York, I learned that New York wasn't always in the northern hemisphere. When the land on earth was all connected, N.Y. was in the southern hemisphere, but when the land split up, the island shifted upwards. I also learned that there is a fault line on Manhattan, on 125th street. Because of it, N.Y. could be devastatingly pdamaged if a big earthquake hit. What I learned about the history of New York scares me a little because the fact that if a strong earthquake hit it could cause a lot of damate worriea me about earthqakes. I also think that it is interesting.
After seeing the video, i am still curious about som things, like the mountains that form N.Y. I want to know how tall the mountains were before the area was flooded. I also want to know if N.Y. could have been part of a different continent, like Africa, before the land.split up into seven pieces. What confuses me is the fact that those rocks could last that long without breaking. I am also confused about how the land split up in the first place and how it will come back together again in a matter of time.
In the New York video, I learned that when New York and Africa's plates moved and collided, it forced New York's land to go up and forced Africa underneath New York. about 250 years ago the continents were all attatched together. The layers of ice the went over huge mountains were 4 TIMES the size of the empire state building. They said that New York's big harbor used to be shut off by high land that was blocking the river from the ocean. They said that there was a big flood from water that had collected and it washed away and destroyed the land that was blocking our harbor. The video was a little bit confusing in some spots, but iFound it really interesting.
in the video i learned a couple of things I learned that rocks we have in central park were once buried under mountains as his as the alps. i also learned that the continents were once togther. another thing that i learned was that if new york was hit by a hurricane or even a big earth quake. many parts of ny would be destroyed/under water.
i was amazed to find out that all the contients were once togther as one. i was also amazed/scared to find out the the damage a natural disater would do to ny. i think it really scared me when the talked about how disaters such as earthquakes are hard ot predict.
something i want to know is what is the cities natural disaster plan? when do you think scientists will be able to dectet disaters correctly.
in th at video i learned that animal tusks were found at the bottom of the hudson river. i found that very intresting. i never knew that. new york has lots of mysteries. i thought that what i learned was very useful. i want to know how the continents were put together in the first place and how they separated. but i learned that dinasaur footprints were found in rocks. im confused about how an ice sheet that big formed. i mean it was 4 times the size of the empire state building. im also confused on how the continents were split up that far. the land moved pretty far.
What I learned from the video is A long time ago North America was in the south. When the continents collided the land was forced up. 200 million years ago New York and Morocco were neighbors and all the continents were together. When the continents serperated there were ponds of lava spreading all over. Also, there were icesheets that went over bear mountain and they were four times the size of the empire state building. I think that it's interesting on how much information you can gather from rocks. It is interesting on how far back scientists can know about from minerals. What I'm wondering about is that this will probably happen again over time and if it does when will this happen? I still want know even if we will be dead by then. I'm also wondering how this will effect humanity? Otherwise I'm not confused about anything that they have said in the video.
I had no idea that New York has gone through so much over its 4.5 million years of existence. I didn't know that New York was once part of a super continent named Pangaea made up of Africa and North America. I found it very interesting that the only thing that separated Pangaea is Volcanoes. We can tell that this is true by the palisades which are rocks bordering the Hudson River have chips of hardened lava in them.
I also that it was very interesting that reason why a lot of these various types of rocks that are scattered all over New York City is that there was a hug ice sheet 4 times the height of the Empire State Building. The sheet sided these big rocks over New York and into their existing places.We can tell this by the scratches on some rocks and the tracks on some hills.
What I learned was all very interesting to me. I didn't know that so many chain reactions and things needed to happen before New York was set out. At points all the information could be confusing. The part about the extinct dinosaur i didn't really understand but in the end I could pic up enough of the little facts to put the puzzle together.
Some of what we learned was even scary. When the man was talking about how New York City was not built to with stand a Hurricane or an Earth Quake. And if one of these were to happen the amount of damage would Catastrophic and the amount of billions of dollars for repair would be unthinkable.
The most important question I have is if an Earth Quake or a HUrricane it New York how would the people evacuate safely with out getting hurt? How would 8,000,000 people to get out of the area in 24 hours with out traffic jams and chaos.
My next Question would be why do we need to know this information? HOw will it help us in the future? HOw can we take the information we learned from this and help or save many lives in the future?
I had no idea that New York has gone through so much over its 4.5 million years of existence. I didn't know that New York was once part of a super continent named Pangaea made up of Africa and North America. I found it very interesting that the only thing that separated Pangaea is Volcanoes. We can tell that this is true by the palisades which are rocks bordering the Hudson River have chips of hardened lava in them.
I also that it was very interesting that reason why a lot of these various types of rocks that are scattered all over New York City is that there was a hug ice sheet 4 times the height of the Empire State Building. The sheet sided these big rocks over New York and into their existing places.We can tell this by the scratches on some rocks and the tracks on some hills.
What I learned was all very interesting to me. I didn't know that so many chain reactions and things needed to happen before New York was set out. At points all the information could be confusing. The part about the extinct dinosaur i didn't really understand but in the end I could pic up enough of the little facts to put the puzzle together.
Some of what we learned was even scary. When the man was talking about how New York City was not built to with stand a Hurricane or an Earth Quake. And if one of these were to happen the amount of damage would Catastrophic and the amount of billions of dollars for repair would be unthinkable.
The most important question I have is if an Earth Quake or a HUrricane it New York how would the people evacuate safely with out getting hurt? How would 8,000,000 people to get out of the area in 24 hours with out traffic jams and chaos.
My next Question would be why do we need to know this information? HOw will it help us in the future? HOw can we take the information we learned from this and help or save many lives in the future?
I had no idea that New York has gone through so much over its 4.5 million years of existence. I didn't know that New York was once part of a super continent named Pangaea made up of Africa and North America. I found it very interesting that the only thing that separated Pangaea is Volcanoes. We can tell that this is true by the palisades which are rocks bordering the Hudson River have chips of hardened lava in them.
I also that it was very interesting that reason why a lot of these various types of rocks that are scattered all over New York City is that there was a hug ice sheet 4 times the height of the Empire State Building. The sheet sided these big rocks over New York and into their existing places.We can tell this by the scratches on some rocks and the tracks on some hills.
What I learned was all very interesting to me. I didn't know that so many chain reactions and things needed to happen before New York was set out. At points all the information could be confusing. The part about the extinct dinosaur i didn't really understand but in the end I could pic up enough of the little facts to put the puzzle together.
Some of what we learned was even scary. When the man was talking about how New York City was not built to with stand a Hurricane or an Earth Quake. And if one of these were to happen the amount of damage would Catastrophic and the amount of billions of dollars for repair would be unthinkable.
The most important question I have is if an Earth Quake or a HUrricane it New York how would the people evacuate safely with out getting hurt? How would 8,000,000 people to get out of the area in 24 hours with out traffic jams and chaos.
My next Question would be why do we need to know this information? HOw will it help us in the future? HOw can we take the information we learned from this and help or save many lives in the future?
I learned many things about the history of New York City. It's terrain was very different, there was once huge mountain, I learned that New york City was once the center of a very big continent. Our city is built surrounded by the leftovers of these times. New York City's geological history has permitted it to become the amazing city it is today. There are so many things that have occurred; volcanic eruptions, mass extinction, massive floods are all a part of New York City's history. I think that all of this is really hard to imagine. It's hard to believe New York City went through all this to become what is is today, if it didn't, it wouldn't be known for the great city is has become.
I actually have no questions, my questions were already answered throughout the video; although one of them was, how are they aware of these things, and is it accurate.
I learned many things about the history of New York City. It's terrain was very different, there was once huge mountain, I learned that New york City was once the center of a very big continent. Our city is built surrounded by the leftovers of these times. New York City's geological history has permitted it to become the amazing city it is today. There are so many things that have occurred; volcanic eruptions, mass extinction, massive floods are all a part of New York City's history. I think that all of this is really hard to imagine. It's hard to believe New York City went through all this to become what is is today, if it didn't, it wouldn't be known for the great city is has become.
I actually have no questions, my questions were already answered throughout the video; although one of them was, how are they aware of these things, and is it accurate.
I learned many things about the history of New York City. It's terrain was very different, there was once huge mountain, I learned that New york City was once the center of a very big continent. Our city is built surrounded by the leftovers of these times. New York City's geological history has permitted it to become the amazing city it is today. There are so many things that have occurred; volcanic eruptions, mass extinction, massive floods are all a part of New York City's history. I think that all of this is really hard to imagine. It's hard to believe New York City went through all this to become what is is today, if it didn't, it wouldn't be known for the great city is has become.
I actually have no questions, my questions were already answered throughout the video; although one of them was, how are they aware of these things, and is it accurate.
I learned many things about the history of New York City. It's terrain was very different, there was once huge mountain, I learned that New york City was once the center of a very big continent. Our city is built surrounded by the leftovers of these times. New York City's geological history has permitted it to become the amazing city it is today. There are so many things that have occurred; volcanic eruptions, mass extinction, massive floods are all a part of New York City's history. I think that all of this is really hard to imagine. It's hard to believe New York City went through all this to become what is is today, if it didn't, it wouldn't be known for the great city is has become.
I actually have no questions, my questions were already answered throughout the video; although one of them was, how are they aware of these things, and is it accurate.
DIRT DIRT DIRT!!!!!!!!!
This video moved me in a lot of different ways. I saw and thought of life and people in way I never did before. I learned thing that I never thought were true were true and I learned that a lot of people in the world that we live in today believe that we are dirt. “When we see the lakes and trees and mountain we can say that is me I am that lake and that mountain and those trees.” These are the words of a person that connects so much with dirt and the world that we are living in to say we are what we see. Other ways that people connect is for example in New Mexico people gather to get dirt with they believe have healing powers. There are so many ways that we can connect with dirt and what we are made of these are just a few. Now I do believe that the human being dose connect with dirt in way no other can. Without dirt this world would be nothing. Everything that we see drink eat and smell could not exist without dirt. Dirt is who we are today what we will be tomorrow and will always be here for us when we need it.
Dirt connects to climate change in many different ways. One of the biggest reasons that dirt connects to climate change is because of the way that most framers treated it back in the days. The result of the ways that the framers treated the dirt only leaded to one thing, the dirt needed pesticides. When the framers gave the dirt pesticides only 20% goes into the plant the rest go in the water leading to the rivers. It goes in to the Mississippi leading to the Golf of Mexico. In the Golf the pesticides kill the fish and living animals in the water leaving behind a dead zoon, where only jelly fish can survive. The rest of the pesticides mix with oxygen and into and get trapped in the atmosphere causing climate change. Other big way that dirt is connected to climate change is droughts. The dirt doesn’t get the amount of water that it needs then gets very dry leading to a drought.
The world has token many actions to help solve this problem. One way is in the South Bronx the whole community is now trying to turn green little by little. Having green roofs and planting trees on the street. This all connect with the earth. Other way that the world is trying to solve the problems is having one of the biggest jails in New York City prisoners get taut how to plant and grow the natural way so they can have something to do when they get out. Other ways are having kids that want throw a bad childhood and go to juvie help their community by planting trees and growing plants. Even thro we as a human race has done bad things to the earth we live on, some of as are trying to take back the bad we have caused with good.
Post a Comment